Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Wire: Characters I Should Hate But Don't

You've gotta love the moral grey area of The Wire; the opposite of a black-and-white approach to morality. There's essentially no 100% good and 100% bad character on the show. (Marlo Stanfield, you are the exception)

There are some people that we're made to dislike, yet I really like them. Before I tell you, does anyone know the main person I'm talking about? No? Okay, well, let's get down to business.

SPOILER ALERT! LANGUAGE WARNING!

Stringer Bell: One of the greatest television characters, period. He commits some heinous acts on the show, but damn, when he's about to die, nearly in tears, I felt terrible for him. That was it for B&B Enterprises. Damn, what an end. I must point out that I loved it how both Stringer Bell and Bunny Colvin's last words before their end (in Colvin's case, his job at the time) were "get on with it, motherfucker".

That was brilliant. Even in his last words, Stringer acted like a businessman. He treated the Game, the drug empire as if it was a business, and in the end it didn't pay off. Stringer was going to a community college to learn about economics, businesses, and in Season 3 he was really working to separate himself from the drugs, well, kinda. He had a prosperous future, but the problem was, you can't escape the game. Very few can. It's almost like when you know when Stringer's time is up, you forget about all the terrible things the guy did. The Wire is brilliant at showing BOTH sides of the story. Props. (no pun intended to the one and only Prop Joe, BTW)

Tommy Carcetti: He's kind-of an arsehole. But at the end of the day, I can guarantee that most of the viewers watching "Margin of Error" were rooting for him to beat Royce in the mayoral race. A lot of this could be because that Royce was an even bigger prick, but at the same time, Carcetti did really want to change the city of Baltimore for the better. (I am aware that later on in the series he gets much worse, but as of the time this was written I had no idea)

Brianna Barksdale. Just kidding. She's a terrible mother.

Bodie Broadus: I don't really think we're meant to not like him; he is likable. But I'm sure that there are people who still hate him for playing a part in poor Wallace's murder. Still one of the most chilling, saddest scenes in the show. In fact, sitting here, writing this right now has given me goosebumps. R.I.P.

Anyway, Bodie has done bad things, but he's trying hard. He's a drug dealer; in the real world I don't respect people who do that stuff, but on The Wire; he plays it like he's a real human. It's a business, it's all part of the game; all of those motto's have gradually started to make more sense to Bodie as the show continues. He grew as a character from Season 1 to Season 4; let the memories be.


And that's it for now. Great show, The Wire is. I can't say that enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment